Every year numerous vehicle accident take place in Burlingame. Having met with an accident and getting injured can change your life in many ways. Suddenly there are expenditures that you haven’t planned, and that matters. As you heal, you may be bugged up with expenses or your treatment and other damages. So, you need to know about your legal options and how to raise your claims. Talk to a Burlingame personal injury lawyer, and get your case sorted.
This blog is articulated to serve as a short guide for you to take the proper steps after you meet with a car or any vehicle accident.
- Any vehicle accident may be unnerving, so it is essential to know beforehand your legal rights.
- Insurances are designed to help you when you meet with an accident.
- After an accident, experts suggest checking with your injuries and talking to the police.
Essential steps to follow:
Maintain your calm after an accident. It is easy said but getting overwhelmed will do no good either.
Check your injuries
Take a look at the wounds of your and any passengers in your vehicle. Call the cop and wait for help to reach you. If the injuries are severe, try not to move out.
Get your car out of the road
After an accident, immediately remove the vehicle towards the side and make the way clear for the rest to ply. If the accident occurred at night, switch on the hazard lights so that others can see you. Always keep an emergency kit with you.
Check if there are vehicle damages
If your injury is not too severe, you can come out and check on the damages that happened to your vehicle. Click a few pictures to keep as evidence.
Call out to law enforcement
If the injuries are severe, report to the law enforcement department. Police can make a report of the accident, and with that, you can claim your insurance.
Get information with the other driver
The laws vary on what information can be exchanged, but you can note down important information like their name, contact number, and driver’s vehicle number.
Also, you can exchange information with witnesses as that will help you later in your case when you file a claim or have to carry further with litigation against the other party.
Talk to a lawyer
This is an important step. As you may not be aware of all the legal matters, talk to a personal injury lawyer who can guide you in recovering your damages and get your claims.
Things not to do after a vehicle accident
- As the to-do things, you must know the don’ts as well. Find below some of the mistakes you must avoid after an accident:
- Don’t abscond from the scene that may lead to criminal charges against you.
- Don’t make a statement that may appear as guilty admission.
- Don’t blame anyone else, as it is the task of the police and insurance companies to sort it out.
- Avoid talking to an insurance adjuster without having a legal expert beside you.
After a vehicle accident, stay calm, cooperate with the police and take a legal route to file your claims. Consult with a reputed Burlingame personal injury lawyer immediately. Time is precious, and any delay may make your case difficult for you.